PDA

View Full Version : Youngstown mafia

Youngstown Mafia
03-10-2010, 08:37 PM
INTERESTING ARTICLE / BLOG about YOUNGSTOWN OHIO
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knew? Dann aide claimed Mafia ties:

The police narrative of Stankoski’s complaint says that Gutierrez persuaded her to go drinking with him after work on Sept. 10. While drinking at the Ringside Cafe, she said Gutierrez “began bragging about the power that he has and informed her that he has relatives in Youngstown that are affiliated with the Mafia,” the police report said.

I went searching:

From Capo di tutti

It’s hard to believe that the small city of Youngstown, Ohio could have a significant organized crime history, but it does. Organized crime’s roots in this blue collar town near the Pennsylvania border go back well before Prohibition. Nearby Warren is another town in the rich crime area that include several Ohio River cities like Steubenville, Ohio, the home of Dean Martin, and Weirton, West Virginia. Youngstown and other cities in the Mahoning and Trumbull County areas were heavily involved with bootlegging and gambling over the years.

Lenny Strollo, a member of the Pittsburgh family, is the recognized crime boss of what is called the Mahoning Valley. According to the FBI, Strollo was inducted into the Pittsburgh family along with Joseph Naples in 1987 by family boss Michael Genovese. Local prosecutors claim Strollo and Naples went to Youngstown where both were involved in murder for hire, gambling, extortion, drug trafficking, robbery, burglary and bribery of a public official.

In mid-December 1997, Strollo, 67, was arrested at his Canfield, Ohio home on gambling and federal racketeering charges that include the Biondillo murder. Strollo’s brother, Dante, 70, was among 29 defendants arrested by the FBI. Strollo’s indictment five days later capped off a three-year FBI investigation.

And according to this list some of the connections to Youngstown and yes, Toledo too.

If you search Gutierrez and mafia? This reference comes up.

This entry was posted on Monday, April 28th, 2008 at 5:40 pm and is filed under Courts, Media, Ohio, Party!. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Responses are currently closed, but you can trackback from your own site.
« Konop to lead public meeting on Dog Warden door to door doggy searching…
Door to door doggy inspections stopped »
24 Responses to “Youngstown has mafia?”

Oh yes..big time family in Youngstown. This is the kind of history I like.

Hey when “Lenny” Strollo went to prison, he was the Youngstown boss, then he started talking a blue streak to the Feds in prison.

The first accounts I ever read puts La Cosa Nostra in Youngstown was in the ’60’s when Youngstown got the nickname Murder City, USA because of all the dead bodies found in the Meander Reservoir. This is the crowd Traficant was supposed to be mixed up with.

And if Gutierrez has ‘family’ in Youngstown he is probably in some hot water now that it has hit the papers.

I actually saw an episode of Justice Files on A&E that featured the trial of a Youngstown boss who attempted to kill the County Prosecutor.

April 28th, 2008 at 7:13 pm

3LisaRenee Says:

Interesting observation Kate, that’s true if he really does have connections they won’t be to happy with him in the news about it.

I searched Meander Reservoir & Trafficant, this might be of interest to you and others.

April 28th, 2008 at 7:14 pm

4LisaRenee Says:

Matt, I think that’s Stollo.

April 28th, 2008 at 7:15 pm

5Lee Says:

My home town is 21 miles from Youngstown. To you youngsters, the idea that a small city can be notorious may come as a surprise. At one time, Youngstown was called “Crime City USA,” and that’s a fact.

April 28th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

6Lou Says:

Strollo was the Boss who tried to kill The Prosecutor- Paul Gains. The hitman’s gun jammed.

Being in the mob isn’t what it used to be…

“[Cleveland Family]

Cleveland, OH/Youngstown, OH/Miami, FL/Cincinnati, OH/Las Vegas, NV/Toledo, OH/Newport, KY/Los Angeles, CA/Havana, Cuba

Joseph “Big Joe” Lonardo (1919-1927) Boss-Murdered
Salvatore “Black Sam” Todaro (1927) Acting Boss
Salvatore “Black Sam” Todaro (1927-1929) Boss-Murdered
Giuseppe “Joseph ‘Sugar Baron’ Porrello” Porrello (1929-1930) Boss-Murdered
Francesco “Frank ‘Don Ciccio’ Milano” Milano (1930-1935) Boss-Retired
Giuseppe “Joe ‘Doctor Romano’ Romano” Romano (1935-1936) Boss-Murdered
Alfred “Al ‘The Owl’ Polizzi” Polizzi (1936-1945) Boss-Retired
John “Johnny Scalish” Scalise (1945-1976) Boss-Died
Vincencio “Jack White” Licavoli (1976-1985) Boss-Died
Angelo “Big Ange” Lonardo (1981-1983) Acting Boss-Defected
John “Peanuts” Tronolone (1983-1985) Acting Boss
John “Peanuts” Tronolone (1985-1991) Boss-Died
Joseph “Joe Loose” Iacobacci, Jr. (1994-Present) Boss”

http://glasgowcrew.tripod.com/bosslist.html

April 28th, 2008 at 9:50 pm

8Daniel Jack Williamson Says:

Youngstown’s got mafia like dogs have fleas. Some say that Youngstown had such a strong mafia influence for such a small town, because, for decades, Youngstown was virtually the midpoint between the New York mafia and the Chicago mafia. Strong mafia influence eventually kills off industry though. What business wants to stick around when there are frequent shakedowns? It has a negative effect on warehousing, because inventory counts are off. It has a negative effect on retail because the black market undercuts the profitability of the stores. But the mafia doesn’t care if everyone else suffers, as long as they, themselves, are making out like bandits. Oh, I guess they make out like bandits because they ARE bandits. Also, they don’t care if there’s some outward migration from the cities that they are slowly killing. That just means less rivals for power. And if the economy somewhere else is booming, making it a tempting target for the mafia family? A few family members can be dispatched to start up the “family business” in those tempting locations, and over time, the family will exert a stronger and stronger presence in the new area while maintaining a stranglehold on the family’s hometown.

Northern Ohio still suffers from shaking down businesses to the point that we’re in the dismal economy that we’re in. I don’t need to know who’s mafia and who’s not mafia to know that there’s mafia around. If I notice the telltale signs evident in our regional economy, then I can tell they’ve been around as surely as little mouse pellets tell you your pantry’s invested with vermin even though you haven’t spotted the little varmints.
Daniel, Lee and Lou; I’ve heard things about Warren since that is where my daughter in law is from and her family lives but I had no idea of the depth of the issue in Youngstown until I started doing some research.

April 28th, 2008 at 11:06 pm

11progressivetoledo@gmail.com Says:

I have always been fascinated by the mob. But I find it a bit strange that you were unaware of the mob presence in Youngstown Lisa. I thought this was common knowledge, in addition to the fact that there was once a strong mob presence in Toledo. The difference between Youngstown and Toledo is that in Toledo, the mob has arguably infiltrated the local government. Unlike Trafficant, there may be certain local politicians who participate in the same behavior, but are not so notorious. I’d prefer not to go into detail, but I’ve heard a few stories about shakedowns that you wouldn’t believe. Perhaps, the first thing we need to do to turn our economic situation around is to throw out those members of council who choose to participate in this behavior. And despite our differences, believe you me it exists.

My question is “Are they hiring?” I’m getting kind of bored with my present job and would like to move into an more exciting field of work.

I’m hardworking, honest and don’t steal but, I’m willing to learn. I can speak with a fake Italian / Brooklyn accent and willing to accept the required street nickname like “Tree fingers” Sepp or, “Seppy da nose”.
I’ve seen the godfather, goodfellas and all the other training films.
Let me know where to send my application!

April 29th, 2008 at 9:17 am

15neighborhood concerns Says:

“Yes, NC that’s the list from the link I posted above. Interesting isn’t it?”

Interesting? No surprise more than interesting.

Growing up in the metro NYC area in the 70’s and 80’s, the business of the families was on TV almost nightly.

I use to go a real arcade in Bridgeport, Conn. as a kid. The Crystal Palace it was called.

Play pinball for a nickel and win cash payouts. Naughty moving picture shows for the gents, over on the other side, and nattily attired business people would meet and smile and then chat and move into a back room.

Local diner had a booth reserved for a “business” person. Who was in the business of taking bets on what ever. And when the tab came due and there was no payment, well the boys would work ya over.

April 29th, 2008 at 9:27 am

16mike Says:

im from y town and still live here and lemme tell you. its not what it used to be. this city sucks and there is nothing interesting going on here. not even…. murrrrrrrder. well actually i take that back. the blacks are still killing each other at an alarming rate.

I think you are all dumb….. Of course the mafia exists, but no one talks about it… and the guy above”neighborhood concerns” are you that dumb….. do you honestly think you can just apply for la costra nostra…. if you are honestly sicilian, you give us bad names…

21Tony S Says:

I grew up in Youngstown. Now I live in Louisiana and yeah some people have heard about y town…they say “yeah i know about that place… you grew up there?…i heard that place is pretty bad..im not gonna mess with you.”

I smile every time i hear it ha ha

Unknown
06-21-2010, 04:44 AM
Actually anyone who says the mafia is still around doesn't know about the mafia. I'm not putting names out there. But lets just say this. Anyone in Youngstown will go around saying, ''Yeah i had family in the mafia'', or ''The mafia is still around they just don't show their faces.'' FALSE. They say that to look cool.

I haven't personally dealt with them. They are long before my time. However, certain people in my family who are way older now have told me things. Not that they were personally in the mafia, but were good personal friends of Naples, Spider, The Clown, etc. They knew the inside and outs of what was going on for the most part. Coming from someone who knew all of them, he said ''The old timers are long gone. They're either dead or just about.'' But of course you still have people around like Trafficant (Who did corrupt things but also helped the Mahoning Valley out a lot), the family of the Debartlo (who used their money to invest in Youngstown but didn't actually care about the place), the prosecutor who was shot, etc. Things have changed with time and people have moved on. The once famous mafia is no longer around. Anyone who says they are, are talking out of their ass and trying to look cool.

However, a smaller group of organized crime from Austintown called ''The Wedgewood Rats'' are all still around, but all went seperate ways with their lifes. There were two generations. The first who had ties with the Youngstown mafia and were sharing ties with jewerly store robbings, bank robberies, etc. And the second who just lived the name, hung out in the area, and had rivals with the Brier Hill Gang and what not. Tell me a name, and i could easily verify if they were in it by asking my uncle. But it's also more than likely people in my generation still know the members as to the real mafia.

No one can say people left Youngstown due to the crime. Youngstown was called Murdertown, U.S.A. while having the largest population it ever once had and being one of the most dangerous places in the country. People left Youngstown because of the government. In otherwords, putting regulations on businesses making it almost impossible to operate at a cheap cost while all of our jobs from the steel mills and such went overseas because other countries can produce things a lot more cheaper because they don't have those regulations. Not to mention most went to either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. ''The cities Youngstown was supposed to be.''

Lets face it. Yougstown had really no other minorities besides the irish, greeks, and italians in the early days. New minorities came in and that's another reason why Youngstown is the way it is today. I won't go into further detail on that problem. You can blame it on the low number of jobs in the area, and the very cheap price of living here though. Sure Youngstown may be run down on the outskirts, and turn into a nice place like Austintown, Canfield, Poland, or Boardman, but do any of ever take part in walking around downtown? You can't say its dangerous. There's more undercover cops down there on just about every block, and camera's also everywhere, not to mention no one has ever said anything to me or bothered me. You have a fully built beautiful city and there's nothing in any of the buildings! In my opinion, ignore the trashy outskirts. They won't change until the city itself does. But people should take notice in what's left in Youngstown. Put more businesses in those buildings, bring back street vendors, get more people walking around down there, influence the younger generations to take part in it. Do that and Youngstown will completely change.

Everyone talks about the history of Youngstown. Look in front of you, under a bridge, behind a building. The history is still there. No ones doing anything with it because no one cares. Everyone just cares to brag about what it once was but how it won't change.

gary_r42
07-10-2010, 02:59 PM
The ratz???? Wat a joke i'm not that old but old enough to know somethings and the mob is still there not as strong but still alive and scaming so talk what you know but don't talk to much..........

ViaLeeAlfie
01-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Sweet , on the other hand pretty insubstantial if you ask me :)http://www.lifeinsurance-policy.org/reftracker/e2.gif

James
01-06-2011, 07:38 PM
We upgraded your account ViaLeeAlfie. You can post pictures now, and you won't have to wait for moderation, anything you post should go up immediately. Thanks for visiting

ZtvLewis
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Good , at the same time you'll probably learn from this !http://www.lifeinsurance-policy.org/reftracker/e2.gif

Big Jeff 1
03-12-2011, 08:44 AM
What just Jr keeping the family lively hood going. right?

Unregistered
06-26-2012, 08:21 PM
How do I find out if a family member was involved in either the Mob or the Mafia back in the 1920's?

I have a great Uncle who was an inmate at the Boy's Industrial School in 1920. He left their "unreformed" and history has it that after leaving their he started using a different name and became involved with either the Mob or the Mafia.
I believe that I have found confirmation of him actually changing his name, but it was not officially done until 1965.

Can anyone help me?

Thank You

Venus

nativeind@aol.com

Unregistered
07-23-2012, 12:02 AM
I told a friend of mine that the Mahoning Co. courthouse is the nicest I've seen in the state, and I go to a lot of them, since I do abstracting of oil and gas title. He says it's all b/c corrupt government, and I just told him that it's an old steel town that when it was built (around 1909, if I'm not mistaken), it had a very strong steel industry and overall economy, but he tried to pawn it off on corrupt government/mafia influence. Who is right here? Maybe both. I just know it's a very beautiful courthouse, especially the dome at the top. It would be a moral shame if all that art and architecture was not built on some honest foundation.

Unregistered
07-28-2013, 11:17 PM
I am a Naples! Sandy,Billy and Joey were all my Grandfather's brothers. My Grandfather went by the nickname Jinx.

Actually anyone who says the mafia is still around doesn't know about the mafia. I'm not putting names out there. But lets just say this. Anyone in Youngstown will go around saying, ''Yeah i had family in the mafia'', or ''The mafia is still around they just don't show their faces.'' FALSE. They say that to look cool.

I haven't personally dealt with them. They are long before my time. However, certain people in my family who are way older now have told me things. Not that they were personally in the mafia, but were good personal friends of Naples, Spider, The Clown, etc. They knew the inside and outs of what was going on for the most part. Coming from someone who knew all of them, he said ''The old timers are long gone. They're either dead or just about.'' But of course you still have people around like Trafficant (Who did corrupt things but also helped the Mahoning Valley out a lot), the family of the Debartlo (who used their money to invest in Youngstown but didn't actually care about the place), the prosecutor who was shot, etc. Things have changed with time and people have moved on. The once famous mafia is no longer around. Anyone who says they are, are talking out of their ass and trying to look cool.

However, a smaller group of organized crime from Austintown called ''The Wedgewood Rats'' are all still around, but all went seperate ways with their lifes. There were two generations. The first who had ties with the Youngstown mafia and were sharing ties with jewerly store robbings, bank robberies, etc. And the second who just lived the name, hung out in the area, and had rivals with the Brier Hill Gang and what not. Tell me a name, and i could easily verify if they were in it by asking my uncle. But it's also more than likely people in my generation still know the members as to the real mafia.

No one can say people left Youngstown due to the crime. Youngstown was called Murdertown, U.S.A. while having the largest population it ever once had and being one of the most dangerous places in the country. People left Youngstown because of the government. In otherwords, putting regulations on businesses making it almost impossible to operate at a cheap cost while all of our jobs from the steel mills and such went overseas because other countries can produce things a lot more cheaper because they don't have those regulations. Not to mention most went to either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. ''The cities Youngstown was supposed to be.''

Lets face it. Yougstown had really no other minorities besides the irish, greeks, and italians in the early days. New minorities came in and that's another reason why Youngstown is the way it is today. I won't go into further detail on that problem. You can blame it on the low number of jobs in the area, and the very cheap price of living here though. Sure Youngstown may be run down on the outskirts, and turn into a nice place like Austintown, Canfield, Poland, or Boardman, but do any of ever take part in walking around downtown? You can't say its dangerous. There's more undercover cops down there on just about every block, and camera's also everywhere, not to mention no one has ever said anything to me or bothered me. You have a fully built beautiful city and there's nothing in any of the buildings! In my opinion, ignore the trashy outskirts. They won't change until the city itself does. But people should take notice in what's left in Youngstown. Put more businesses in those buildings, bring back street vendors, get more people walking around down there, influence the younger generations to take part in it. Do that and Youngstown will completely change.

Everyone talks about the history of Youngstown. Look in front of you, under a bridge, behind a building. The history is still there. No ones doing anything with it because no one cares. Everyone just cares to brag about what it once was but how it won't change.